At Holy Family, we believe that music is a powerful and unique form of communication. By engaging children in making and responding to music, our teaching offers opportunities for them to:
- Develop their understanding and appreciation of a wide range of music, developing their own interests and increasing their ability to make judgements of musical quality.
- Acquire the knowledge, skills and understanding needed to make music.
- Develop skills, attitudes and attributes that can support learning in other subject areas and that are needed for life and work.
- This includes listening skills, the ability to concentrate, creativity, intuition, aesthetic sensitivity, perseverance, self-confidence and sensitivity toward others.
We aim to provide our pupils with the opportunity to experience Music to the fullest extent possible. We aim to do this by:
- Providing the highest quality teaching and learning experience possible.
- Providing music curriculum that is broad and well balanced.
- Providing a curriculum which progressively develops musical skills, concepts and knowledge.
- Providing children with a means to express ideas and feelings through sound.
- Promoting positive attitudes towards and enthusiasm for, music work in school.
- Developing social skills and awareness whilst making music together.
- Developing an insight through music into other areas of experience.
- Seeking the highest possible standards.
- Promoting excellence and enjoyment in Music.
Please see our Music Policy below for more information on the implementation and impact of the teaching and learning of Music at Holy Family.